1. Check under vehicle on approach for obvious leaks, obstructions, etc.
2. Unlock all doors
3. Inspect vehicle for possible damage, preferably from top to bottom, left to right in an anticlockwisedirection.
4. Check right-hand rearview mirror for damage, cleanliness and stability.
5. Check right-hand portion of the windscreen for damage and cleanliness.
6. Check right-hand wiper blades for wear, stability and cleanliness and leave in extended position.
7. Check right-hand front wheel: tyre tread for wear and damage, sidewall damage, inflation, valvecap, oil, grease leaks and wheel nuts.
8. Check right front side lenses and reflectors for damage, cleanliness and stability.
9. Check front of vehicle for damage and security of bonnet, grill and bumper.
10. Mention that oil, water, brake fluid and fanbelt should be checked.
11. Check front registration plate for damage, cleanliness, stability and validity.
12. Check left front lenses and reflector as described in item 8.
13. Check left front wheel as described in item 7.
14. Check left-hand portion of windscreen as described in item 5.
15. Check left wiper blades as per item 6.
16. Check Certificate of Clearance/Roadworthiness disc and Operator Certificate (if applicable) forvalidity.
17. Check left-hand exterior mirror as described in item 4.
18. Check left-hand door(s) for operation of door(s) and window winder(s). (If manually operative)
19. Check seat belts for stability and damage.
20. Check information plate for damage, cleanliness, stability and validity. (If applicable)
21. Check left rear wheel as described in item 7
22. Check left rear of cab and windows (if applicable) for damage, cleanliness and stability.
23. Check tilt cab locking device if applicable.
24. In case of an articulated vehicle check the service lines and couplings for damage and stability.
25. Check for air leaks.
26. Check batteries and holder for damage and stability.
27. Check air tanks for damage and stability and test for water in tanks (if applicable)
28. In the case of an articulated vehicle check the trailer for clearance certificate and registration platefor validity.
29. In the case of a trailer check the left front reflector for damage, cleanliness and stability.
30. In the case of a truck-tractor check the left rear wheels. Tread for wear or damage, side walls,tyre pressure, dust cap, oil and grease leaks, wheelnuts and objects between double wheels.
31. Mention that spare wheel, jack and wheel spanner should be checked.
32. In the case of a truck-tractor, check the left rear lenses and reflectors and per item 8.
33. In the case of a truck-tractor check the chevron for damage, cleanliness, stability and validity.
34. Check left door, drop sides and or windows for damage, cleanliness and stability.
35. Check the left reflectors as per item 8.
36. In the case of a trailer check the left support leg for stability.
37. In the case of a trailer check the information plate as per item 20.
38. Check spare wheels in respect of tread wear and damage, sidewalls, pressure, dust cap andstability.
39. Ensure that the trailer park brake is off. (If applicable)
40. Check left rear wheels as per items 7.
41. Check left rear lenses and reflectors as per item 8.
42. Check rear doors, dropsides or windows as per item 34.
43. Check rear chevron as per item 33.
44. Check rear registration plate and light as per item 11.
45. Check rear bumper for damage and stability.
46. Check rear right-hand lenses and reflectors as per item 8.
47. Check right-hand rear wheels as per item 7.
48. In the case of a semi-trailer check the right-hand support leg as per item 36.
49. Check right-hand doors, dropsides or windows as per item 34.
50. In the case of a truck-tractor check the rear registration plate and light as per item 11.
51. In the case of a truck tractor, check the rear right-hand lenses and reflectors as per item 8.
52. In the case of an articulated unit, check the fifth wheel coupling plus safety lockpin.
53. In the case of a truck tractor check the right-hand rear wheels as per item 7.
54. Check the rear of the vehicle and exhaust for damage and stability.
55. Check fuel tank and cap for stability.
56. Check right-hand rear of cab and windows as per item 5.
57. Check right-hand door(s) as per item 18.
58. Check right-hand front wheel as per item 7.
On approach to the vehicle the examiner shall request the applicant to conduct a pre-trip exteriorinspection whilst the engine is idling to ascertain amongst others if there are any leaks in the brakingsystem.
The examiner may allow minor defects to be rectified, however, no extra time will be allowed.(The stopwatch shall not be stopped)
The applicant shall not be penalised for the following:
For example, when the wheels are checked, it is not expected of him/her to check the tyre tread for wearand for damage to the sidewall, and tyre pressure and the valve-cap etc.
When it is clear to the examiner that the applicant has paid attention to the specific parts (Whethermentioned or not) he/she shall be credited.