1. Check rear-view mirror(s).
3. Brake timeously, smoothly and progressively without locking wheels and in complete control, keeping both hands on the steering wheel.
4. Obtain and/or maintain a clear space behind or alongside obstructions or other road user, where applicable. (Approximately 4 - 5 metres behind the vehicle ahead)
5. Stop in accordance with road traffic signs, signals, rules and markings.
6. Maintain pressure on brake pedal.
7. Apply parking brake, if necessary.
The parking brake should be applied when stationary for any length of time or where there is a possibility of rolling but may not be necessary depending upon traffic signals, stop/start progress of traffic and the gradient of the road.
If the vehicle is equipped with a foot-operated parking brake, the sequence shall be to select neutral, with service brake depressed and then to apply the parking brake.