3. Brake timeously smoothly and progressively without locking wheels and in complete control, keeping both hands on the steering wheel.
4. Select a lower gear, if required.
5. Disengage clutch just before vehicle is brought to a complete standstill, without laboring or stalling the engine.
6. Obtain and/or maintain clear space behind or alongside obstruction or road user, where applicable. (Approximately 4 - 5 metres behind the vehicle ahead)
7. Stop in accordance with road traffic signs, signals, rules and markings.
8. Apply parking brake, if necessary.
9. Select neutral, if necessary.
The parking brake should be applied when stationary for any length of time or where there is a possibility of rolling, but may not be necessary depending upon traffic signs, stop/start progress of traffic and gradient of the road.
Neutral should be selected when stationary for any length of time, but this may not be necessary depending on traffic signals and stop/start progress of traffic. Should the applicant stop for a shorter period than it would take to apply the parking brake and select neutral, he/she shall not be penalised for failing to apply the parking brake and selecting neutral.
If the vehicle is equipped with a foot-operated parking brake, the sequence shall be to select neutral, with the service brake depressed and then to apply the parking brake.
When coming to a stop, the brake pedal shall be depressed before disengaging the clutch in order to prevent coasting. This is not a requirement in stop-start traffic or when stopping on an incline.",